Skip to main content

House Project Phase 2: Pantry Roof

Please take a few minutes to click here and answer
my Research Question. Thank you for your help!

Phase 1 was installing the siding on the back gable end of the house. Phase 2 was dealing with the leak in the roof.

Photo from last spring, when we first discovered the leak.

Down came the gutter and old fascia board. With the fascia board gone Dan could see that the ends of the rafters were in bad shape. To assess the extent of the damage he cut away a section of the roof.

You can see why the roof was sagging in the first photo.

This happened because the builder didn't extend the edge of the roof out far enough. That meant rain water could leak behind and underneath.

Fortunately they were only rotted at the ends. He didn't have to replace them entirely (which would have meant tearing up the entire roof). He just needed to sister in new ends.



Then he put back the section of roof he removed, and a new fascia board was added.


Then it was on to the roof itself. The leak was caused by the way the roofer installed the shingles. An asphalt shingle has a series of flaps with cutouts separating the flaps.

Asphalt shingle

The first row is started at the edge of the roof, and they are nailed in place above the cutouts. The next row goes on top and is supposed to cover the nails.

Properly installed asphalt shingles.

Whoever installed our pantry roof left nails exposed through the cutouts.

The most logical fix was to cover the entire roof. For that we chose metal panels. Dan considered a number of ways to do this job, but finally decided that simplest was best. And quickest!


You can also get a glimpse of Dan's solution
to that odd angle on the roof - he boxed it out.

These are the same metal roofing panels we put on the barn, but the pantry roof is steeper, so Dan had trouble walking on them. No traction. To put on the ridge cap he used a rubber-backed runner rug to keep from slipping and sliding. It worked very well.


Also a "boot" for the bathroom vent pipe.


The next day we got two inches of rain. The roof was secure and snug.


The last step will be painting the fascia and siding, and then putting the gutters back up. Happily, the forecast calls for sunny, mild temps over the week or so to get that done.

Comments